This collection of objects for religious use is among the historically most important in Germany. Its basis is the collection of Alexander David (1687-1765), the “court Jew” of the Dukes of Brunswick. This compilation of artefacts was complemented by an important collection of Tora wimpels (Mappahs) and numerous objects of the Jewish Reform movement which originated in the Duchy of Brunswick in the early 19th century.
The Baroque interior of the Hornburg synagogue is a very special exhibit. Before the building was demolished in 1924, almost its complete interior was transferred to the Museum, and today it is the only historical interior of a synagogue in northern Germany that is still extant.
The Judaica collection is complemented by everyday utensils which mirror the various different facets of Jewish life in the Brunswick region before and after 1945.
Phone +49 531 1225 - 1100