The Braunschweigisches Landesmuseum has its main venue in Brunswick’s Burgplatz. The neo-classical building’s original purpose was to house the Brunswick publisher Vieweg. Today, it houses the special exhibition rooms of the Brunswick State Museum.
We are currently reorganising the permanent exhibition on the region’s history.
The building was erected between 1799 and 1804 by the publisher Friedrich Vieweg (1761-1835) and is among the most important neo-classical buildings in Germany. The relocation of the publishing house to Wiesbaden in the 1970s made it possible for the Braunschweigisches Landesmuseum to use this building and move there in 1986.
The Museum’s main venue in Burgplatz with its extensive program of exhibitions, its numerous events, conferences, talks and museum projects, has become a lively cultural center in the heart of the city of Brunswick over the years.
The main location in Burgplatz is currently undergoing renovations.