The historical building of the Kanzlei Wolfenbüttel houses the archaeological collection and, in order to memorialize the building’s original role, the Renaissance gallery of drawers of the ducal chancellery.
The Braunschweigisches Landesmuseum offices for archaeological science have been housed in the former ducal chancellery in the heart of Wolfenbüttel’s Old Town since 1959 and include a storeroom for archaeological finds as well as restoration workshops.
The building was erected on the foundations of older buildings at the end of the 16th century in the late-Renaissance style as the administrative center of the Dukes of Brunswick.
On the first floor is the archaeological exhibition of the Braunschweigisches Landesmuseum – from the beginnings about 50,000 years ago to the conquest by the Franks in the 8th century.
There are regular special exhibitions on individual archaeological themes in the former archives of the chancellery, the gallery of drawers.
The Archaeological Museum is closed until further notice due to measures to contain the COVID-19 pandemic.